Here's a selection of classic time related issues that teachers face. If you’re interested, scroll down for my response.
1. The biggest challenges to teachers in terms of time management are grading/evaluations, academic commitments beyond the classroom including serving on committees, planning bodies etc.,and planning for courses.
2. Common causes of distraction for me include conversations with colleagues that don't reduce problems or workload but do provide temporary relief or stress reduction.
3. I know teachers can do their jobs without experiencing excessive stress but I am still waiting to find out how! I've spoken and worked with others who are not completely stressed out. Generally their time management skills are superb and they have been teaching enough years to have a lot of time savers in the classroom. They also ask for help when needed and don't reinvent the wheel.
4. If I were mentoring a newly qualified teacher I would say to
Maximize your planning time
Organize don't socialize
Make a routine for setting up and leaving at both ends of the day
5. I have two planning periods in the day so in the first period I generally have meetings, make phone calls/check emails, make copies or visit the office for administrative issues. During the second planning time I map out lessons, do internet research and complete grading.
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Time Management For Teachers.